Looking for that inner librarian through personal experiences, connections, education, and the library profession

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Moving Right Along....PROGRESS!


After many months of researching and revisions, I finally wrapped up a
project I've been working on in my internship (I'll soon link my digital proposal on this site)! The curator at the Fernbank Museum of Natural History, Dennis Blanton, and I have finally reached what I think to be the final version of my digital library
proposal. I'm putting some finishing touches on the document and will
post it soon.

The past few weeks I've been working on creating a Wiki, a blog (not this one, but one for my Planning and Creating a Digital Library class), indexing, creating PHP forms, and creating a photo gallery for my internship. I will continue to create the website and hopefully create an archive that will be very similar to the one the museum wants.

This week, I will also explore some other management tools like DSpace and ContentDM. Although I'm enjoying building my own using XAMPP, homegrown systems are
not easy, as my buddy Lichen Rancourt pointed out. It takes someone with a lot of programming experience, and for sustainability, it's best to have something like DSpace or contentDM. Otherwise, if I'm stuck with all the knowledge, it would be
hard on the museum if something happened where I would have to leave. I hope I can figure out a way to share all of these things I've been learning with you. I will be putting together a portfolio for Lankes' 759 course, so hopefully I will be able to share that with other classes, since it will reflect the work I've been doing with my internship. Since I'm creating a blog for the course, I will probably load the same or similar content on this one, or until I can figure out how to link the one I created in my LAMP environment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home