Looking for that inner librarian through personal experiences, connections, education, and the library profession

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Greenstone



Tonight, I've been working on a project for my internship. My hope was to create a mock-up of the website using Greenstone. Greenstone is open source software that is used to create and manage digital archives, allowing the collection to be accessible via the web. Greenstone is the product of the New Zealand Digital Library Project, and has been endorsed by the Communication Sub-Commission of the New Zealand National Commission for UNESCO as part of New Zealand's contribution to UNESCO's programme (see website for more details). After talking to some of my colleagues at Emory about DSpace, and explaining the difficulty I had just unbundling the software, it was suggested that I try Greenstone.



With the help of Anna Semon from the AMNH and Dennis Blanton at Fernbank, I was able to get a sampling of images from a field survey at St. Catherine's Island, along with metadata. Using Dublin Core Metadata Element Set which was one of the options in Greenstone, I was able to add the metadata provided by Anna. I'm still trying to figure out the software, but it's very staightforward. There are pretty detailed instructions for each of the sections, and I was able to load the content and view the gallery. One of the problems I encountered was indexing and was unable to figure out how to successfully create the fields for searching the collection. I am not sure what went wrong. Maybe I should have completed the settings before building the library. At any rate, I hope that I can delete and rebuild the index, and that will fix the problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home