Looking for that inner librarian through personal experiences, connections, education, and the library profession

Monday, April 03, 2006

About Me, professionally











My name is Lakegan Harris and I am from Atlanta, GA. I am near the end of the Masters in Library and Information Studies program at Syracuse University, hopefully finishing up at the end of summer semester, 2006. I am currently working at Emory University where I am a cataloger and also do acquisitions work. I decided a couple of semesters ago to pursue the CAS in Advanced Studies in Digital Libraries . In pursuing a career in Digital Libraries, I thought it would be to my benefit to do an internship, so I decided to line up one at a local museum, Fernbank Museum of Natural History. I have been working with a curator at the museum on developing a plan/proposal to create a digital archive for a collection of artifacts. I have been exploring metadata schemas, content management tools, and have developed an architecture for their webpage (GULP!). I’m excited about continuing this opportunity and look forward to sharing it with my fellow classmates. I’m currently taking IST 759 Planning and Designing Digital Library Services with David Lankes. This class will hopefully teach me how to use different databases and programs like PHP and MySQL, giving me ideas for designing and managing the website for the Fernbank’s artifact collection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home